You can prevent a course and its associated content, learning objects and assets, from being edited by changing its status to Locked/Read Only.
To Lock a course:
- From the SplashBoard or Application Menu, select Browse Courses.
- Choose the course.
- Select the Actions button.
- Select Edit.
- From the status dropdown, select Locked/Read Only.
- Click the Update button.
Note: All learning objects within the course must be checked-in in order for you to Lock the course.
If the course is open for editing, here's a quicker way to lock the course:
- First, ensure all Learning Objects are checked in.
- Double-click on the course name in the Course panel to open the Course Properties.
- In the Course Status dropdown select Locked/Read Only.
There are several rules that are important to understand when locking a course.
- only administrators can lock/unlock any course
- authors can lock unlocked courses that they are assigned to
- only the author (or an admin) that locked a course can unlock it
- locking a course prevents its assets from being edited
- locking a course prevents its Learning Objects from being edited
- Learning Objects always respect the lock on their parent course (See Identifying a Parent course for more information)
e.g., I reuse Learning Object A from course 1 in course 2. When course 1 is locked, Learning Object A cannot be edited regardless of the lock status of course 2.
- locking a course prevents any changes to the course, its modules, or structure
- Locked courses cannot be edited by anyone—not administrators, and not the person who locked it. A course must be unlocked in order to make changes.
- All Learning Objects in a course must be checked-in before a course can be locked.
Note: Reference and Glossary items are not specifically associated with individual courses and are NOT locked when a course is locked.
To learn more about unlocking a course for editing access: How do I unlock a course for editing?